A Mother's Incoherent Ramblings

May 12, 2015

My firstborn turned 13 last week! She's now officially a teenager and I'm panicking. Where did the time go? I still vividly remember the day she was born. Was that really 13 years ago?

We definitely have all the symptoms of teenagehood around here:

  • Butting heads - CHECK!
  • Trying very hard to fit in - CHECK!
  • Wanting to stand out from the crowd at the same time - CHECK!
  • Doesn't believe parents know best - CHECK!
  • Spends hours on the phone - CHECK!
  • Nightly pimple cream application - CHECK!

It feels as if just yesterday she was a sweet happy-go-lucky pre-schooler with chubby cheeks, huge eyes and a sense of wonder. Now she's a moody young lady who expects to be treated as an adult. I know this is a normal part of growing up, and a mother's job is to try and let go a little, but my heart is breaking because right about now, it hit me that she won't be mine forever. Though I knew the day she would fly out of the nest would have to come eventually, nothing in my parenting journey really prepared me for coping with just how fast that day is approaching. Tick, tick tick, every minute brings us closer to the eminent.

When your child is little, you want to protect them from all calamities of the world. You believe, that if only you hold them tightly in your arms, nothing bad can touch them. You dote on your babies and you kiss their little cheeks. It doesn't enter your mind that there will come a day when your child will no longer want your protection.

Back when doll-houses were not passe 

On the other hand, just last week, my daughter did skip with me outside in broad daylight, while singing "we're off to see the wizard...". Sure, she did it just to embarrass her brother, but even so, maybe not all is lost yet.

I have lots of hopes for you, my love, and one of them is that you remain a child just a little longer. Not for my sake, but because life will catch up with you faster than you realize and this is the only childhood you'll ever have. Enjoy what's left of it!




No comments:

Post a Comment